Vegan Vegetable Pie Recipe
- 2 Potatoes
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup Green Beans sliced
- 2 cubes Vegetable Oxo
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 2 tbls Sago
- 2 tbls Margarine
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Dice potatoes, carrots and onion.
- Fry onion, carrots and potatoes in the margarine.
- Add beans, peas, sago, marmite and vegetable stock.
- Cook till vegetables are cooked.
- Put the vegetables into an ovenproof dish.
- Cover with bought puff pastry.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or till golden brown.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Marmite is a salty paste made from brewers yeast and a combination of vegetable extract and spices. It was a German chemist Baron Justus von Liebig who discovered that the yeast leftover from brewing beer could be converted into a high protein by-product. He also trade marked the Oxo cube.
Marmite was first sold in England by the Marmite Extract Company in 1902. It was originally sold in earthenware pots, but it is now sold in jars that look like a French cooking pot.
Marmite is a good source of vitamin B complex, and B12. During the world wars British troops were issued Marmite as part of their rations, to combat beriberi, a vitamin B deficiency. It was also found that the folic acid in Marmite could be used to treat anemia.
Marmite is eaten as a spread on toast, crackers and savoury biscuits. Marmite also makes a nice hot drink. Just mix one teaspoon of Marmite with one cup of hot water, stir and enjoy. This drink relaxes the muscles and makes your sleep better.