Rum and Walnut Tipsy Tart Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped Dates
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 1 tsp Rum Essence
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbls Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Mix nuts with flour mixture.
- Chop dates into pieces and mix with baking soda.
- Pour boiling water over dates.
- Cream butter and sugar add eggs.
- Mix well.
- Add to the flour mixture.
- Add dates.
- Pour into a pie dish and bake for 30-45 minutes.
- Cut into squares.
- Mix the sugar, water and a pinch of salt in a sauce pan.
- Stir till sugar is melted and boil for 5 minutes.
- Take of heat and add the butter and vanilla essence.
- Pour hot sauce over tart as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let cool and serve with cream.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Walnuts are seeds from the Walnut tree. It is a round fruit. When fully ripe the skin and the husk is removed and it reveals a wrinkly walnut, which is in two sections divided by a partition. Walnuts are usually bought shelled ready for use. Walnut trees are later in growing their leaves in the spring.
They secrete a chemical into the ground to prevent competing plants growing underneath the tree.
Flowers and vegetables won’t grow underneath the Walnut trees.
China is the biggest producer of walnuts, but the USA is the largest exporter of walnuts.
Walnut are used in cooking and baking or can be eaten roasted or raw as a healthy snack.
Walnut husks can be used as dyes or ink for writing or drawing. The dye is suitable for fabric dying.
Walnuts are also rich in Vitamin E, Protein, antioxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids.