Peppermint Tart Recipe
- 1/2 pkt Plain Biscuits
- 1 pkt Lemon Jelly
- 1 cup Water
- 1 can Condensed Milk Caramel
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1 slab Peppermint Choccolate
- Place the biscuits at the bottom of a 24 cm square dish.
- Mix the jelly with the water, stir to dissolve.
- Chill till it starts to set.
- Whip cream, caramel condensed milk and jelly together.
- Grate halve of the chocolate slab into it.
- Mix and pour into the dish with the biscuits.
- Grate more chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate for 5 hours.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint. The plant grows between 30cm and 90cm tall. It has a smooth stem with 1.5cm to 3.5cm long, dark green leaves with reddish veins. The flowers are purple but they don’t produce seeds. The peppermint plant flowers in the later summer.
The peppermint plant is fast growing and spreads quickly. It is cultivated by taking young shoots from the old stock and then planting them into the ground. It prefers moist, shady locations. For the home garden it is best to plant it in a container to stop it from spreading.
In some countries peppermint is considered as invasive e.g. Australia, New Zealand and the United States.
Morocco grows 92% of the world production.
The leaves of the peppermint plant are processed for the essential oil which is used for flavouring in toothpaste and chewing gum. The oil is also extensively used to relieve muscle pain, nerve pain and to reduce itching.
The leaves are often used in peppermint tea or mixed with other herbs for herbal tea.
Peppermint is also further used as flavouring for ice-cream, candy and alcoholic beverages, etc.