Date & Nut Loaf Recipe
- 3/4 cup Nuts chopped
- 3/4 cup Water boiling
- 1 cup Dates chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter / Margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Flour sifted
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the nuts, dates, baking soda, salt and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Pour boiling water over it and stir until butter has melted.
- Stand for 15 minutes.
- Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs, add the sugar and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Sift the flour into the egg mixture.
- Add date mixture and mix just till all the ingredients are mixed.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for one hour.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Butter is a natural product made from the cream of cows milk. It is made by churning the cream to separate the butterfat from the buttermilk.
It is used as a spread on bread, for cooking as well as baking. Butter is sold in 500g packages and is usually wrapped in waxed-paper or foil. Wrapped butter can be kept in the refrigerator for several months.
Butter is mostly composed of saturated fat. A high intake of saturated fat can increase the risk of heart disease. As a result health authorities recommended that people lower their consumption of butter for health reasons in the 1970’s.
Butter does however have some nutrients that are not found in other foods, depending on the cows diet. If they are grass fed the butter is more nutritious and will contain Vitamin 2, CLA, Butyrate and Omega 3.