Chickpea Stew Recipe
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tbls Oil
- 1 can Tomatoes
- 1 tbls Dried Basil
- 1 Carrot large
- 2 Potatoes large, peeled and diced
- 2 cups Chickpeas cooked
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- Place the oil, onion and carrots in a pan and fry gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add water and potatoes, herbs, salt and pepper cook till potatoes are nearly soft.
- Add tomatoes and their juice cook till potatoes are soft.
- Add cooked chick peas and warm through gently.
- Serve with fresh bread.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
The chickpea plant grows between 20-50cm high. The seed pods have 2-3 peas each. The plant has leathery leaves on either side of the stem. There are several varieties of chickpeas cultivated around the world. India being the largest producer and also the largest importers.
Dried chickpeas are soaked over night to reduce the cooking time. Cooking makes it easier to digest. Chickpeas are used in salads, stews or ground into a flour. The flour is shaped into falafels and fried.
Chickpeas can also be used as a animal feed instead of soy beans or cereal. It is also used to restore depleted soil. Chickpeas have a deep root system and need no agricultural water.
Chickpeas contains a large amount of antioxidants, vitamins, calcium, magnesium and zinc to name a few. Chickpeas have been used as a caffeine-free alternative for coffee.