Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe
- 1 kg Chicken Pieces cooked
- 2 tbls Butter / Margarine
- 3 rashers Bacon diced
- 2 Onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Carrot thinly sliced
- 1 cup Stock
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 tbls Corn Flour
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter / Margarine
- 1/4 cup Chilled Water
- Pinch of Salt
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Rub butter in till well mixed.
- Add water and mix lightly.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Fry bacon until starting to crisp.
- Add onion , carrot and mushrooms.
- Cook till liquid has evaporated about 10 minutes.
- Stir in stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix cornflour with a little water add to stock and cook till it thickens.
- Add chicken, spoon into a pie dish.
- Cover meat with pastry.
- Cut vent in center for steam to escape.
- Brush with egg and milk.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
The domestic chicken is a subspecies of the red jungle fowl and they are related to the pheasant family from Asia.
There are 25 billions chickens in the world. There are more chickens in the world than any other bird. There are 150 different breeds of chickens from the little bantams to the big leghorns.
Their main diet is seeds and insects, they will also eat lizards and small mice. They are bred for meat and eggs, but were first domesticated for cock fights.
Chickens can’t fly high like other birds but will fly over a fence or into a tree. Chickens can live between 5-10 years, it all depends on the breed.
The rooster has brighter colours than the hens. They have striking plumage and long tail feathers and pointed feathers on their necks. Roosters also have a big comb on their head and wattles on either side under their beaks.
Chickens are raised for their meat and eggs. There are more chickens killed for food than any other land animal.
A hen need four pounds of feed to make a dozen eggs. A hen can lay more than 300 eggs in a year.
Chickens have a very good memory and can distinguish between 100 different faces of people and animals.
Chicken meat can be prepared in many different ways. It is high in protein and low in calories and fat.