Oats and Coconut Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup Margarine
- 1 1/2 cups Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Dried Fruit Cake Mix / Raisins
- 2 cups Wholewheat Flour
- 1 cup Coconut
- 2 cups Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add to sugar mixture.
- Add dried fruit.
- Roll into balls.
- Put onto a baking sheet and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and lift of onto a cake rack.
- When cold store in a airtight container to retain crispness.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Whole Wheat Flour
Whole wheat flour is ground whole grain of wheat. It is used for baking bread and other baked goods such as muffins etc.
There are two type of whole wheat flour. The white whole wheat flour is made from hard white spring wheat. It has a milder flavour and a lighter colour. The red whole wheat flour is usually milled for bread making. It is more nutritious than white flour but it makes a denser loaf because of the bran, which hinders the loaf from rising completely.
To make a lighter loaf, half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour can be used.
Whole wheat flour is rich in protein, fibre, iron, B vitamins, magnesium and zinc.
Because of the presence of wheat germ, whole wheat flour has a shorter shelf life. To prolong the shelf life it is best to store whole wheat flour in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer.