Sweetcorn Muffins Recipe
- 2 cup Self-raising Flour
- 1 cup Cheese grated
- 2 Eggs extra large
- 1 tin Cream-Style Sweetcorn
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Mix the self-raising flour and cheese.
- Beat eggs and mix with the sweetcorn and salt.
- Add the corn to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter equally among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for about 15 minutes till cooked and golden brown.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before carefully turning out.
- Eat muffins warm with butter and cheese.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Sweet corn is a cereal with a high sugar content that turns to starch soon after it has been harvested. It is harvested when the kernels are still soft and milky, unlike the field corn which is harvested when the kernels are mature and dry.
The plant grows to about 7-10 feet high and bears 2-6 long “ears” filled with rows of teeth-like seeds around a woody cob. It is very easy to grow in any garden that has a long frost-free summer.
Sweet corn is usually eaten as a vegetable. It can be eaten cooked, canned or frozen. It can also be grilled and served with a little butter spread on it.
Sweet corn was first given to the European settlers in 1779 by the Iroquois. After that it became very popular in the Southern and Central regions of the United States.
In Latin America sweet corn is eaten with beans to form a protein-complete meal.
Sweet corn is moderately high in calories and is a gluten free cereal. It can be further processed into starch, oil, sweeteners, alcohol and ethanol based fuel.