Easy Shortbread Recipe
- 1 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup Icing Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cornflour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 1/3 cups Plain Flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt butter over low heat or in the microwave.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Sift cornflour and icing sugar together, add sugar, add butter and vanilla.
- Beat mixture until thick and creamy.
- Add sifted flour and mix well.
- Press into a 18 cm x 28 cm baking tray.
- Smooth top.
- Mark into fingers with a knife.
- Prick each finger with a fork.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Cut into fingers while still hot.
- Cool and store in a airtight tin.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Corn Flour (Corn Starch)
In the United States and Canada it is called corn starch and in the United Kingdom and some Commonwealth countries it is called corn flour.
It is made from the endosperm of the maize kernel. Corn flour is virtually tasteless and it is used for thickening sauces and soups. Corn flour is also used for making corn syrup and other sugars. In the industries it is used as glue and in the medical field it is used to supply glucose for people with glucogen storage disease. Corn flour is also found in baby powders. In the early days corn flour was used to starch laundry.
When mixed with water corn flour becomes a translucent mixture rather than the opaque mixture that you get from flour.
Corn flour, like other powders is susceptible to dust explosions so extra care needs to be taken during the manufacture process.