Butter Bean Lentil Stew Recipe
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Margarine
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 tin - 410g Lentils drained
- 1 tin - 410g Butter Beans drained
- 1 Potato cooked and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1/4 Red Pepper
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 tbsp Gravy Powder mixed with a little water
- 1 Slice Bread thick and crumbed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cp Cheddar cheese grated
- Fry onion and garlic in butter.
- Add beans and lentils and potato cubes.
- Mix well.
- Stir gravy mixture into boiling water.
- Add to beans with herbs and seasoning.
- Cook till it thickens.
- Turn into a baking dish, sprinkle bread crumbs and cheese over surface.
- Place under preheated grill to brown.
- Serve hot with tossed salad.
- To make this a Vegan dish use dairy free cheese instead of Cheddar cheese.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Butter bean and Lima bean is the same thing. It is also known as Madagascar beans.
It is a legume planted for it’s seed. There are two cultivars, the bush and the pole cultivars. The pods are about 15 cm long. The beans are kidney shaped and are usually white, but black, red and orange cultivars are also available.
Butter beans are a good source of fibre, are high in protein and are virtually fat free. They are also a good source of carbohydrates and minerals.
Butter beans can be used in stews, soups, baked or ground into powder form.
Important : Raw butter beans can be toxic. Always boil for at least 10 minutes. Canned butter beans are safe to eat as they are already pre-cooked.