Savory Red Bean Pot
- 2 tbls Cooking Oil
- 2 Onions medium, chopped
- 2 Apples grated
- 2 Carrots grated
- 2 Stock Cubes crumbled
- 3 cups Red / Mixed Beans
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 3 tbls Tomato Paste
- 1 tbls Oregano
- 1 tbls Dry Mustard
- 2 tbls Brown Sugar
- 2 tbls White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the crumbed stock cubes, onions, apples and carrots.
- Fry for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Mix the tomato paste and water with all the other ingredients except the beans and cream.
- Stir well, cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beans and spoon mixture into a ovenproof dish.
- Cover and bake for bake for 45 minutes.
- Add a little water after 20 minutes if necessary.
- Top with a swirl of sour cream.
- Serve with rice and a salad or with crusty bread if you are in a hurry.
Today’s Featured Ingredient
Origano is a herb and genus to the mint family. It is perennial and is native to the rockey landscapes where the climate is temperate eg India, Turkey and Parkistan. It is easy to grow and thrives in the hot sun. The leaves are dark green and it makes white, pink or purple flowers. Cutting the stems back will encourage new growth and a fuller bush.
Origano has a strong aroma and a warm pungent taste. It is often used in Italian, Spanish and Mexican cooking. Marjoram from Turkey is closely related to Origano. Origano has many health benefits. The leaves as well as the volatile oil are used for medical purposes. Historically the oil was used by the Greeks to treat bacterial infections. Use less dry origano in cooking than fresh because it has a stronger flavour. It is usually added to the dish near the end of the cooking time. It turn bitter if cooked too long.